Next month I am going to Nairobi in Kenya for business. Every time I am going there I am thinking of a book by Denis Waitley “Safari to the Soul”. It is a quite nice, easy to read book that brings us to the highlands of the Maasai Mara where the author describes his own journey into self- discovery.
I like his “10 Step Guide to Savage Paradise” very much:
- Know your environment
- Know the participants
- Know your own strength and limitations
- Know your purpose and inner motives
- Know that others have different agenda, often hidden
- Know that there are givers and takers, pray and predators
- Know how to be a giver, but not a pray for predators
- Know enough to say “I do not know”
- Know that change is the rule
As you can imagine the last point of this guide is very close to my philosophy. I like going to Africa. It is so different, so unpredictable and still so fascinating. One day I promised myself to go to Safari Camp 1920. But before it will happened I will apply the “10 Step Guide to Savage Paradise” to my business as it is as valuable in the African highlands of the Maasai Mara as it is in the daily life of the corporate world.